Thursday, January 15, 2015

Swords and Roses Fun Fact #1- Where Did We Get the Name Swords and Roses?

In celebration of Our 15th Anniversary, I will be posting on the 15th of the month a little fun fact about Swords and Roses.

Where Did We Get the Name Swords and Roses?

My sister, Susan, and I had our first taste of stage combat and knew we wanted to create a show displaying our talents of singing, acting and now Sword Play!!!

 Swords and Roses circa 2003 or 2004 (earliest photo found)

We knew that the show would be about 2 sisters getting into random fights and one of our first tag lines was "Sibling rivalry with an edge".

We knew that a show with swords in the title would sell, because WHO DOESN'T WANT TO SEE A SWORD SHOW?!

Maria: Swords and Sisters.

Susan: No.  That sounds like we are fighting nuns.

Maria: Hmmm.

Susan: No. I don't not want to be dressed as a 16th century nun in the St. Louis summer!

Maria:Swords and Siblings.

Susan: Ugh. You have got to be kidding.

Maria: We are the LeFleur sisters, right?

Susan: Right.

Maria: So maybe something flower like to match the fact that we are feminine.

Susan: I know...The Fiesty Flowers of France.

Maria: Sounds like a wench show.  Hmmm.

Susan: No.  I'm a teacher.  I can not have my students see me in a wench show!

Maria: Roses with Rapiers.

Susan: Roses and Rapiers.

Maria: No. Wait, Sis, sell the metal first.  Rapiers and Roses.

Susan: Maybe.

Maria: Then people could say "I need a little R and R.

Susan: Cute.

Maria: I don't want to be cute.  I want people to think we are fierce and then find out we are cute.  We need something dangerous, something that suggests edgy.  What about Swords and Roses? (thinking of the edgy heavy metal hair band from the 1980's called Guns and Roses)

Susan: Swords and Roses.

Maria: After all we sing and sword fight, so we are like an edgy 1980's hairband.  I can hear it now...

We are Swords and Roses, the other heavy metal band!!!"
And the rest they say is history.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment